In this era of covid-19, we all are left with no option other than working from home. But what you need to consider is your posture while working for a 6 to 8 hours shift affects your long-term life journey. Are you willing to adept a good posture while working from home?
Do we know the difference between good posture and bad posture? Today we are going to discuss how to maintain a good posture while working from home. Work from home has its pros and cons, like you get more time to spend with your family or looking after your loved ones, but with that benefit, you are also spending the majority of time indoors, so physical activity is reduced.
It is essential to maintain good health and fitness; hence one should maintain a good posture while working from home. The work setup should be adequate, and the surrounding should be work-friendly. After working for such a long time, we all feel tired of waking up for work another day. A light change in environment and arrangement in your workroom can change this feeling, and you will feel happy to go to your workroom.
While working from home, we all work in a bad posture which we never focus on without feeling muscular pain. A bad posture affects your body like anything.
Adverse Effects Of Having A Bad Posture?
- Bad posture affects your muscles the most, which leads to spinal issues or other major problems in the long term.
- Most of the time, we work in front of the digital screen, so we are unintentionally adept at a forward stoop posture where our head is too stretched from the front, which affects our neck muscles like the trapezius or SCM.
- Trapezitis is the most common issue nowadays. In this, you get a spasm of the trapezius muscle, which leads to terrible neck pain and even migraine.
- In the same way, all the three fibers of the trapezius get affected along with your pectoralis and rhomboids.
- In the long term, you get a spasm of paraspinal muscles or even spinal issues like herniation of the disc, spondylosis, etc. This leads to severe back pain, sciatica, or any other nerve compression and radiating pain.
How To Adept A Good Posture While Working From Home
A perfect sitting arrangement for your work has significant effects. The length of your chair and table or a digital screen should be adequate. Your digital screen should be exactly in from of your eyes which keeps you away from getting a bad neck posture.
- The length of your chair should be perfect. You should be able to rest your hands on the table without stretching your shoulders more or without bending forward.
- Your chair must be having good cautioning at the back to keep your spine comfortably straight.
- Your knees should be at a proper length, and your hip and knees at 90 degrees on leg rest.
- You should avoid sacral sitting in which we sit on the sacrum more, which leans to sacral pain.
- You should be having an armrest and a leg rest. To keep your body relaxed even while working.
- Keep your chin a little tucked in a while working on the laptop.
- Get a walk every 2 hours to flex or relax your muscles.
- A one can even do some self-stretching.
- To keep your mind healthy, place your work environment near the window.
An Adequate Self Stretch In Short Breaks While Working From Home
- For neck stretch, Sit straight, place one arm on the opposite side of your head while the other hand will be kept straight and relaxed. Flex your head with the other hand sideways and stretch a bit. Maintain the stretch for 30-60 sec and relax. Repeat it on another side.
- To stretch back, you can try to touch your toes while keeping your knees straight. In standing, you can extend your back for some time as well.
- Take a wall push-up position while keeping your feet away from the wall and bend the elbows to reach towards the wall for easy chest stretch.
- These stretches are really easy and take 2 min which keeps you away from getting neck or paraspinal spasms.
A good posture while working from home is mandatory to keep your body healthy and yourself away from getting tired or feeling muscular or spinal pain. Avoid bad posture. Relax in the intervals. And change the atmosphere of your room and try to keep your spine healthy.
Do follow the advice and try to have a good work environment without feeling tired or pain. A good posture will leave you feeling energetic even at the end of your day, so try these tips and see the change in your body and feeling of tiredness.