One more kind of threat is roaming around the world, and WHO is about to announce a Global emergency owing to a newly discovered virus named Coronavirus Virus that is causing the life of millions of people now. China’s Wahun city is the epicenter of the virus, and to prevent this virus from spreading other countries, the Government has taken commendable steps only to isolate this virus. Let’s get into the details about the Coronavirus and the latest facts about it.
What is Coronavirus?
They are a group of viruses that cause disease in birds and mammals. In humans, it causes the respiratory organs that are typically mild, incorporating the common cold. Still, rarer forms such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) or severe acute Respiratory Syndrome (SERS) may be lethal.
Discovery of Coronavirus
The gene sequence of Coronavirus is recently decoded by the experts after it has caused a death toll in China and many parts of other countries like the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. Coronaviruses were first discovered in the 1960s, but they weren’t confirmed or into action. In 2002 and 2003, Coronavirus led to an epidemic in 30 countries, where more than 8000 people got infected, and 1000 died. In 2012, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome or MERS was discovered on the Arabian Peninsula, still unconfirmed.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The symptoms of coronaviruses may be divided into two groups: Common Human Coronaviruses and Other Human Coronaviruses. Let us know first about Human Coronavirus.
- Causes – lower-respiratory tract illnesses such as bronchitis or pneumonia
- Who More Affected? – Infants, Older Adults, and People with less immunity and people suffering from cardiopulmonary disease
Common Human Coronaviruses
- Virus Types – It incorporates types of NL63, 229E, HKU1, and OC43.
- Causes – mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses such as common cold
- Lasts for – Short amount of time
- Symptoms – It may include:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- A general feeling of unwell
Other Human Coronaviruses – The two other human coronaviruses that have been known to cause severe symptoms are SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV frequently.
- SARS-CoV – Its symptoms include fever, chills, and body aches that usually progressed to pneumonia.
- MERS-CoV – Its symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath that often progress to pneumonia.
Current Statistics About Coronavirus
Latest Coronavirus Cases And Death
- As per the latest report, the Coronavirus has spread across China and to at least 22 countries and territories worldwide. Until now, around 7915 cases have been confirmed 170 deaths as of 30 Jan 2020.
- Suspected Cases – Some of the places whose reports are still suspicious and yet to be confirmed are Zambia, Kenya, Ivory Coast, and Ethiopia.
- CDC has confirmed 5 cases in the United States.
- Wuhan (Epicenter of the Virus) – To isolate the virus, the Government has lockdown all the transport systems. And for this step, WHO has lauded China for this incredible steps to minimize the virus spread to other countries.
- Rare cases have also been reported from Japan, Germany, and Vietnam.
How Much Contagious is Coronavirus?
We can indicate it by the transmissibility or attack rate. And the attack rate is reported by a reproductive system that means the number of people who gets infected from a single person. For this virus, the estimated range is between 2.0 and 3.1, as per preliminary studies.
Period of Incubation
As per estimation by CDC, the incubation period for the Coronavirus is to be between 2 -14 days that means the virus is contagious, but earlier symptoms still not display.
WHO Warns the Whole World – Need to Take Care
The head of WHO has asserted over the outbreak of the Coronaviruses that the whole world needs to be alerted on. Wuhan, a city of china, is the epicenter of the epidemic. WHO will hold a meeting to discuss the matter and will consider whether they need to declare a global emergency.
Prevention From Coronaviruses
It is generally said that Prevention is better than cure. Till now, there is no vaccine available to prevent Coronavirus as scientists are still questing for its proper medication. But, you can do the following things to avert its contact that are as follows:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water and always be hygienic
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Keep your hands and fingers away from eyes, nose, and mouth most of the times to avoid spreading
- Avoid contact with people who are infected because it is a hand-to-hand disease
- Observe good personal hygiene of yourself and the people around you
- Avoid contact with animals in the form of food
- Wear a mask if you feel any respiratory symptoms occurring