Confused about whether to have almonds raw or soaked? The Health benefits of almonds are many. But did you know you can multiply these benefits by consuming almonds that are soaked?
Almonds have various health benefits. To name a few, it helps lower cholesterol, is a natural source of vitamin E and antioxidants, controls blood sugar, reducing bad LDL and increasing the good HDL cholesterol, sharpens memory, etc. However, there has always been confusion about whether to have almonds raw or soaked.
Choosing almonds soaked is a healthier alternative than having them raw. Take a handful of almonds and soak them in a bowl of water. Cover it with a lid and keep them overnight for around six to eight hours. Have them first thing in the morning. Additionally, you may sprinkle in some sugar to reduce the bitterness further.
The debate of having almonds raw or soaked is going on for years. In this article, we look at both sides and the health benefits of having almonds, raw & soaked.
Health Benefits Of Soaked Almonds
As we know, almonds are loaded with vitamins and minerals. However, did you know when they are soaked overnight, the power of these elements increases? Some of the most common health benefits of having soaked almonds are:
- Digestion benefits: In its raw form, almonds’ outer texture and hardness make them difficult to digest. But when they are soaked overnight, its hard casing is softened for at least 8 to 10 hours. That makes it easier to break down and ease its digestion.
- Much better taste: Almonds in their raw form generally have a bitter taste due to their tannins. When they are soaked in the water, they taste less bitter and also get a buttery smoothness in texture.
- Increases absorption power of nutrients: The protein in almonds helps in keeping the stomach fuller, and the manganese helps in strengthening the bones and also in the regulation of blood sugar. Soaking almonds helps in making them soft, and it is found that when almonds are broken into such small pieces, they are easier for the body to absorb nutrients.
- Good for the heart: Soaked almonds reduce the bad LDL in your body and promote the input of good HDL cholesterol, thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks.
Health Benefits Of Raw Almonds
While it is understood that soaking almonds have many benefits, at the same time, it is to be noted that raw almonds are good for your health too.
- Good for controlling blood pressure: Raw almonds are loaded with protein, fiber, healthy fats, and vitamin E, along with manganese and magnesium. Thus, making almonds beneficial for people who face blood pressure problems.
- Reduces cholesterol: The skin of almonds, too, has its own set of benefits. They are a source of antioxidants, which also reduce cholesterol as such.
- Helps fights complex health issues: The benefits of almonds are also seen in fighting complex issues like cancer, as they are a rich source of Vitamin B17. Flavonoids present in almonds help in suppressing issues like tumors. Birth defects are also reduced as folic acid is present in almonds.
To summarize, both soaked and raw almonds have their own set of benefits. However, having them soaked has further additional benefits. It depends on the individual’s preference if they are okay with having them soaked over the crunchy texture when having it raw.